Parenting Styles

I haven't written a blog in many years!  My last update was June 2015! This was when I was homeschooling my daughter Emmie who is now 15 years old and in High School!  Time sure does fly!  Since then, I have decided to go back to college and study marriage, parenting, and families. I have always loved studying marriage and parenting and I am very excited to see where this leads me in my future.  I have a Facebook page dedicated to parenting but wanted to start a blog on parenting as well.  We will consider this my first post! Here is an Updated picture of my family:

                                    


I started teaching a parenting class in my home this week, it was so much fun.  The class is a 9-week class, and we cover just about everything when it comes to parenting. The very first class was on parenting styles.  I asked the ladies in my group who I was teaching if they know of the three parenting styles, none of them had!  I was surprised by this information because they are all parents. I then told them about the three different parenting styles which are, Authoritarian, Permissive, and Authoritative. 





I then remembered a video I watched in my college classes explaining what the three parenting styles are. Here is the transcript of the video (sorry I can't share the video it is locked through BYU-I).

Transcript: Parenting Styles (google.com)

I love how they describe the three parenting styles as mentioned in the video is Authoritarian, Permissive, and Authoritative.  I think this video does an amazing job describing the three styles using a jawbreaker, cotton ball, and tennis ball.  I especially love the tennis ball analogy.  I had never heard it explained this way!  

Let's describe each parenting style:

Authoritarian

Authoritarian Parent has high demands and low responsiveness.  I always think about a drill sergeant when I think about this type of parenting.  You are expected to work full time, get straight As, keep your room clean, get volunteer hours, and be the best runner at your high school but the parents are not very loving or nurturing to the teenager. Parents give out sever punishments and do not disciple in a loving kid way. 

Permissive

Permissive parents are not demanding. Kids do not have many responsibilities and are allowed to regulate their behavior and the majority of their choices. When a parent is permissive, they look at their child as equal rather than children of a parent. ... Rejecting the notion of keeping their kids under control.

 Authoritative

 Authoritative. In this parenting style, the parents are nurturing, responsive, and supportive, yet set firm limits for their children. They attempt to control children's behavior by explaining rules, discussing, and reasoning. They listen to a child's viewpoint but don't always accept it.

We then discussed what type of parenting we all thought we were and what type of parenting our parents were.  My son was walking by during this lesson, and I asked him what he thought my parenting style was and he said mostly Authoritative and sometimes permissive (in his little 9-year-old voice).

Which leads me to the question I have for you, what is your parenting style? What can you improve when it comes to your parenting style?

Here is a link to learn more about parenting styles: The Four Parenting Styles (gottman.com)


Image Used from: Parenting Styles | Fashion and Beauty Tips | Inspired Women | Family | Women Health (women-alert.blogspot.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pilocytic Astrocytoma WHO Grade 1

Week 2

Horrifying Experience